Tuesday 16 June 2015

A place for everything and everything in it's place....





I made this little pocket/purse from the tiniest scrap of embroidered fabric, it was just about the right size to make this - I can't even remember where it came from - I had to mend it in a few places and there's a few little stains but that's what I love about using old and found materials... the story they have to tell. The white embroidery was already there but I added a few more french knots in a creamy colour and some beads in the centre of the flowers.

If you're anything like me and you love to stitch, I'm sure you save precious little scraps of fabric that are left over from other projects or just little pieces you find, I know I do. I wanted to make myself a place to keep the little bits of cloth that I cherish...




This is made from a beautiful piece of worn quilt sent to me by a lovely friend I met through this blog - I've never met her in person, but I hope to one day. Do you want to see inside?





I've added tiny patches of my most treasured scraps so I can always keep them and sewn on some of my most favourite tiny mother of pearl buttons (the really tiny ones are so hard to come by, that I save them for my most special things). I collect quotes about sewing and this is one of the ones I like the most.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Your work is so beautiful and heartfelt. I enjoy each piece you post.

Eszter/SubRosa said...

wonderful pieces♥

Vicki Jo said...

Everything you make is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us!

The Rustic Victorian said...

It's so exciting to see you have posted a new creation, or two!
How beautiful once again. A good idea for special scraps to keep for ones own enjoyment.
Blessings in your day!
Marcie

Jayne said...

Hi Christine, I always feel that you put a piece of yourself in everything you stitch. What a wonderful idea to make a special place to keep all of your treasured scraps and buttons. I do recognise the gorgeous quilt piece, that pink is so delicate and your stitching has just enhanced it. Thank you for your lovely words, I am sure we will meet one of these days x

Evergreen Mo said...

Another lovely piece of work . All the little details make it so interesting. The tiny pieces of fabric mean one has to" take time to stop and stare"

epocktextiles said...

so beautiful

susan hemann said...

so lovely, I would love to have you make something little for me to remind myself that I'm ok. I had a stroke recently and I seem to be getting confused and I don't understand it. I am hard on myself because I want to be better.

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful purse, I love the extra details you brought to it. On your scraps keeper I just love the little scrap pieces you sewed to it inside, perfect touch, Lovely!

Vermont Knitter said...

I love all the work you have have posted. These pieces today are especially beautiful. Thank you.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am so intrigued by your 'recycling' of old pieces of embroidery. Very creative and artistic what you then fashion. All your posts are so enjoyable; thanks for sharing.

gentlework said...

thank you everyone for all of your kind words. To Susan - I'm so sorry to hear of your recent ill health - sending you all my good wishes - don't be too hard on yourself and give yourself time - Christine x

dianeknottllc.blogspot.com said...

So lovely - so many people would discard these little bits from ages past. So special that you're adding little touches to make them even more appreciated! I love following your boards on Pinterest and seeing what you're up to.

Another lady who has had needle in hand since I was a tiny child,
Diane Knott

Thank you for all of the lovely photos you share of your work!

DatePete said...

How thrilling to know there is someone else out there who has collected lovely old bits of beautiful fabric! I thought I was the only odd one -- and haven't told anyone! Now to find the time to make some of the lovely things, as you have done! Thanks for the inspiration! Helen Cowles

Lyn said...

Lovely, lovely pocket, your work is so beautiful Christine, and I love the quote. Xxx

Betsy said...

Christine,
It's all so beautiful!!! I have been collecting small small vintage containers the open for some beautiful reason!!! Thanks for your inspiration!!!
Hugs, Betsy

Sandra Foster said...

Beautiful work of which I pinned here: https://www.pinterest.com/sandrafpins/.
Over the years I have been collecting vintage laces and lines and with some these treasured pieces I have made 3 lampshades. Will share them this winter on my blog: Lavendula Loveliness.

Unknown said...

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. See the link below for more info.

#tiny
www.ufgop.org

SMouser said...

Hello, beautiful work and thank you for sharing. I have a very difficult time embroidering letters. Could you please tell me your technique or is it on your site? Thank you!

Janet Bridge said...

I look at your work so often, and it gives me such joy. Thank you